Thursday, May 8, 2008

Jury Duty

Jury Duty how often does this happen?? Well I got my "call" in the mail and this was my week. I had to call every night after 5 to see what was in store for me. I call and every time it says I don't have to go, well last night I called and listen to the message and it caught me by surprise that I had to go in, I had to listen to it twice. I have never known anyone that has had to actually go in. I get there and we have to sit in one of the court rooms until everyone shows up or I guess till 8:30 when it starts. They have you watch this old 80's movie about why we should be honored to serve on the jury and what to kinda expect. Then we have to fill out a questionnaire about the usual seen questions around like are you 18 and older, are you a citizen, stuff like that. Then the judge came in and talked to us for a few minutes about what the process was. We then filled out a paper to get paid, I thought wahoo!! OK so it was only 18.50. The judge told us about what we get paid and she said it wasn't much and that it should cover at least our gas, haha?? After that we were taken down through the back halls of the court house and taken to a new court room. There they have the attorneys and the witnesses and then they ask us a series of questions that you have to raise your hand if it applies to you followed by an explanation. Then the attorneys go back and forth to pick who they want out and who they want kept and the jurors are picked. They only kept 4 out of our bunch of 20. I was at the back of the line and they said that if you were close to the back you probably wouldn't get picked. I of course didn't get picked, fine by me!!

2 comments:

Lori Romney said...

Phew! I hope I never have to do that. What a close call.

Bobbi Lee said...

Lucky you were close to the back. Although, I wonder what your trial would have been...? What day are you leaving for Portland?